Welcome to the DAAD Information Center Ethiopia
Download our most recent NEWSLETTER (Edition 03 / January 2015), in High Quality Size (1.7 MB) or Standard Size (700 KB).
Please find here a new guidebook for teachers and students based on Proposal Writing Courses: Proposal Writing for International Research Projects
Announcement: Job Vacancies
The DAAD is a close partner of the Ethiopian Ministry of Education with regard to the Engineering Education Capacity Building Programme (EECBP), which is managed and funded by the Ministry. Within this framework, the DAAD recruits international long-term experts for the EECBP. Currently, the following 10 positions are vacant:
- 2 Deans at the Dire Dawa Institute of Technology,
- 1 University Transformation Managing Director at Mekelle University,
- 1 Managing Director for Internationalisation at the Ethiopian Institute of Technology (Mekelle University),
- 1 Hospital Manager at the Ayder Referral Hospital (Mekelle University),
- 1 University-Industry Linkage Advisor at Mekelle University,
- 1 Dean for the School of Civil Engineering and Architecture at Adama Science and Technology University (ASTU),
- 1 Dean for the School of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering at ASTU,
- 1 Dean for the School of Electrical and Information Engineering at ASTU and
- 1 Dean for the School of Applied Natural Sciences at ASTU.
Please visit http://daad.de/ecbp to access the complete announcements.
Call for Applications for Academic Institutions: In-Country/In-Region Scholarships for Postgraduates
For its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme the DAAD is looking for institutions which can provide postgraduates with the capacity of contributing to sustainable development. Successful institutions will be supported with a quota of Master and/or doctoral scholarships.
The DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme, which is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, seeks to strengthen and expand DAAD’s regional network of high-quality academic partners offering development-related Master and/or PhD studies which are geared towards capacity building and strengthening of teaching and research staff.
Who can apply?
University departments / faculties / schools, research institutes and research networks from member states of the East African Community (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda), Ethiopia and South Sudan which offer high quality Master programmes, doctoral programmes, or individual doctorates which are geared towards capacity building of teaching and research staff.
Please find more information on the programme, the selection criteria for applying institutions and the application form here:
If you have any further questions, please contact the DAAD Nairobi:
Ms. Inse Boehmig: email@example.com
Mr. Bonface Nyagah: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline for institutions: 20 March 2015
DAAD Research Fellowship programme is jointly carried out by the Leibniz Association (Wissenschaftsgemeinschaft Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz e.V.) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Leibniz-DAAD fellowships offer highly-qualified, international postdoctoral researchers, who have recently completed their doctoral studies, the opportunity to conduct research at a Leibniz Institute of their choice in Germany.
Fellowships can be awarded for 12 months and include:
- a monthly instalment of €2,000,
- a combined health, accident and personal liability insurance in Germany,
- a research allowance of €460 per annum and
- a two-months German language course in Germany (if desired).
The application requirements are:
- At the time of application (date of signing of the application form) applicants for a Leibniz- DAAD Research Fellowship must neither hold German nationality nor have resided in Germany for more than six months.
- Applicants should be able to prove their outstanding academic or research achievements.
- Applicants should have completed their studies with a PhD or equivalent qualification (no more than two years should have passed since graduation).
- Applicants should have excellent knowledge of English (Knowledge of German is welcome)
Please find the full announcement here.
Deadline for applications: 16 March 2015
Call for Application: "International Media Studies" (Development-related Postgraduate Course)
The Development-related Postgraduate Course “International Media Studies” announces its Call for Application for the intake 2015/16 (this autumn!).
The Master’s programme is a cooperation between the Deutsche Welle Akademie, the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences and the University of Bonn.
Main emphasis of the programme taught in English and German lies on topics like media and development, journalism, communication sciences and media economics. The programme aims to enforce both, academic expertise and practical skills.
Application requirements are:
- a Bachelor's or an equivalent degree (the subject is not relevant)
- evidence of at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field after having completed their first degree
- evidence of language skills in both German and English.
The funding includes a monthly pay of 750,00 EUR plus tuition fees and travelling costs.
Please find more information about the application process and the online-form here.
Application deadline for the intake 2015/2016: 31 March 2015