Welcome to the DAAD Information Centre Ethiopia
Please download our current newsletter (June 2015) here - in Standard Size (1,18 MB) or High Quality Size (2,08 MB).
University Leadership and
Management Training Programme (UNILEAD) Training Announcement
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Department of Continuing Education and Education
Management at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany are jointly organising the DIES
University Leadership and Management Training Programme UNILEAD in Oldenburg, enabling young
management-level professionals at higher education institutions in developing countries to tackle successfully
every-day challenges. In order to do so, the programme brings together the topics Project Management,
Financing and Investment and Management of Human Resources with individual and practice-oriented change
projects of each participant.
Programme Contents and Methodology
UNILEAD focuses on three key areas:
1. Project Management (PM). This includes courses on Strategic Management in Projects, Methodology
of Project Management and Risk Management
2. Financing and Investment (F&I). This includes general financing strategies, operating with financial
plans, control of solvency as well as the knowledge of and use of investment tools and concepts.
3. Management of Human Resources (HRM). This includes courses on Instruments of Human Resource
Development, Leadership, Conflict Management and Communication
Who Can Apply?
UNILEAD is targeting higher education managers from developing countries. The two key criteria are:
• Applicants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel
responsibilities for at least two years in one of the following fields:
o Managers of central university departments (Planning, Quality Management, Human
Resources, Continuing Education, International Offices, etc.).
o Task force managers for university reform projects.
o Managers of staff development units or programmes.
• Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable.
Further criteria are:
• Applicants are young university leaders aged between 30 and 40 years.
• Applicants hold at least a Master’s degree.
• The provision of international experience will be an asset.
Application form and Deadline
Applications can be submitted via the online application form on the UNILEAD-website at
Strict closing date of the application is October, 12th 2015, 23:59 Central European Time.
For the full announcement check on www.unilead.uni-oldenburg.de
Call for Applicants: Civil Society Leadership Awards 2016-2017
The Civil Society Leadership Award is a scholarship for a master's degree study that provides a fully-funded study to individuals who clearly demonstrate academic and professional excellence and a deep commitment to leading positive social change in their communities.
Awards are available for master's degree studies at various institutions across the world in the following areas:
- Communications and Media
- Culture, History and Society
- Development Studies
- Education Management and Leadership
- Environment and Natural Resource Management
- Gender Studies
- Law and Human Rights
- Politics and International Studies
- Public Health and Health Management
- Public Policy and Administration
- Social Work and Social Policy
Application deadline: 15th September 2015
Call for Applications: Science Tour "Research in Germany" 2016
City of the Future: Research for Sustainable Urban Development
The tour organized by the DAAD (German Academice Exchange Service) will provide a unique insight into innovative research activities in German universities, research institutes and industry.
Who may apply?
Researchers engaged in sustainable urban development in the following disciplines:
- Infrastructure and traffic technologies
- Urban studies and logistics
- Sanitary environmental engineering
- Renewable energy technologies
- holding a doctoral degree (awarded before 30th September 2013)
- be affiliated to a non-German university/ research institute
- have a strong research background
- be able to initiate and manage major projects in cutting-edge research or educational cooperation
Application deadline: 25th September 2015
For more information, please click here.
Call for Applicants: 10 Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany
DAAD offers approx. 10 Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany for former DAAD In-Region/In-Country scholarship holders from Sub-Saharan countries.
Applicants have to:
- be alumni of the DAAD with the "In-Region/In-country Scholarship Programme"
- have completed their PhD degree less than six years ago
- hold an academic position at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- submit an invitation form from a German host institution together with a research plan which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher in Germany
- be a national of a Sub-Saharan African country
Applications can be handed in at any time, but at least three months before the intended visit in Germany.
Please find more information here.
Call for Applicants: 10 Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa at DAAD supported Centres of Excellence
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is offering approx. 10 fellowships in 2015 for doing research at one of the DAAD supported Centres of Excellence in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Applicants have to:
- be senior or prospective teaching or research staff, preferably former DAAD scholarship holders
- have completed their PhD degree
- submit an invitation from a Sub-Saharan African host instiution together with a concept note which must have been arrangend in advance with the host researcher
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country
- preferably come from other countries than the country where the programme takes place
Applications can be handed in at any time, but at least two months before the intended visit in the respective country.
Please click here for further information.
Call for Applicants: Staff Exchange in Sub-Saharan African countries - Fellowship announcement
The DAAD is offering approx. 10 fellowships in 2015 for Staff Exchange in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Applicants have to:
- a senior staff at a Sub-Saharan African university
- submit an invitation from a Sub-Saharan African host university together with a concept note indicating the duties and functions and the envisaged time frame
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan country
- provide leave of absence provided by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at the host institution
Applications can be handed in at any time but at least two months before the intended visit at the host institution.
Please click here for more information.
New list of study courses for DAAD's Development-Related Postgraduate Courses (EPOS) has been published
The new list of study courses in the field of Development-Related Postgraduate Courses for the intake 2016 has been published. Earliest application deadline is 31st August, 2015 (Please note that application for the scholarship and the programme is made directly to the school and done at least 1 year prior to year of commencement of scholarship.)
Courses of Study:
- Economic Sciences/ Business Administration/ Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional planning
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Medicine/ Public Health
- Social and Political Sciences and Education
- Media Studies
Please find more information on the programme and application formalities here.