Welcome to the DAAD Information Centre Ethiopia
DAAD Alumni Seminar Call for Application
On behalf of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the Centre for International Capacity Developmentat University of Siegen is organizing the
International DAAD Alumni Expert Seminar “Integrated solutions to answer challenges of food insecurity in times of climate change” 01st of March to 12th of March 2016 Mekelle, Ethiopia
This seminar is the second out of a series of two and will be held at Mekelle, Ethiopia. The seminar is scheduled from 01st of March (day of arrival) to 12th of March 2016 (day of departure).
The Expert Seminar is organised by the Centre for International Capacity Development, Universität Siegen in cooperation with
- Cologne University of Applied Sciences, Institute for Technology and Resources Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ITT)
- Ethiopian Institute of Architecture, Building Construction and City Development (EiABC) - Chair of Ecosystem Planning and Management
- Relief Society of Tigray (REST)
- Mekelle University, College of Dry Land Agriculture and Natural Resources, Institute of Water and Environment.
Deadline for provisional registration is December 20th, 2015. Please send your application via email to: Ruger Winnegge: email@example.com
The application (in English language) must include the following documents:
- Filled form of application including your motivation for participation. The form is available on.
- A short CV with surname, name, date of birth, organisation and current position, department, city, country, phone, e-mail.
- Indicate your alumni status in providing details about your previous stay in Germany. Please indicate if you are a PhD candidate or a student.
- Include a passport size foto, short description of your present field of activities, your tasks/position and your personal professional goals.
- An overview on workshops, conferences and seminars visited in Germany after finishing your studies/your stay in Germany.
- If you like to present: a one page abstract on a topic related the seminar. Use Arial font type, font size 11, 1.5 line spacing. The abstracts will be selected for presentation during the seminar.
TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme
Postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, can go on a ‘Cooperation Visit’ lasting three months to an institute in Germany.
The TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme provides postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, with the opportunity to make a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany of no more than 3 months.
Under this programme, researchers are assisted in making a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany. Such visits will have a duration of no more than three (3) months and must be undertaken within 12 months of the award.
The aim of the visit is to discuss research collaboration with German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term collaboration, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes. TWAS will cover health insurance and travel expenses, while DFG will provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
Deadline: 31 March each year. Successful applicants will be informed three months after the deadline.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2011;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants already on site in Germany are not eligible.
- Successful applicants can only reapply once for another cooperation visit.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.
For the full announcement use:
Announcement and Call for Abstracts, International DAAD Alumniseminar 17 – 22 February 2016, Göttingen
The "European Conference of Tropical Ecology" (http://gtoe-2016.de) of the Society for Tropical
Ecology is hosted by the Georg-August-University of Göttingen and the German Primate Center. The
title "Tropical diversity, ecology and land use" covers everything from the most biodiverse ecosystems
on earth, their ecological functions and processes, land use changes, and threats and destruction of
tropical ecosystems due to human overuse.
The seminar is organized and hosted by the Centre of Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use (CBL),
Section of Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture and Forestry (SeTSAF), University of Göttingen. The
seminar is offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in the framework of the
program Alumni Special Projects (www.daad.de/alumni-special-projects). The costs will be mainly
covered by funds from the DAAD provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation
and Development (BMZ).
The seminar program in Göttingen will include:
• Sessions and workshops with keynotes on biodiversity and sustainable land use
• Poster presentations from the participating alumni
• Group work activities and professional networking opportunities with European tropical
• Cultural events.
Your application should emphasize your motivation and personal/ professional benefit for your
participation. You should illustrate how you are planning to imply the gained knowledge and what
possible stakeholders for collaboration you may identify for your professional career.
Please conduct your online application via our application portal on
latest by 30th November 2015.
Detailed information is available using the following links:
Please click here for the full announcement.
The following two scholarship programmes are awarded by the Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology for the Summer Term 2016.
For the Summer Term 2016, the Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology is offering:
- two Visiting Fellowships for international doctoral researchers whose dissertation has a historical, sociological, social-anthropological or political science focus:
- up to six Start-up scholarships to international MA graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science. Recipients receive the opportunity to prepare a convincing proposal for a dissertation project:
For more information, you may contact
Dr. Miriam Kanne| Academic Coordination (Academic Affairs & Recruitment)
Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS)
Bielefeld University | P.O. Box 10 01 31 | 33501 Bielefeld | Germany
Office Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays or by arrangement
Room: X-B2-243| Phone: +49 (0)521 106 6526
Proposal Writing for Research Grants
ProGRANT Proposal Writing for Research Grants is part of the DIES (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies) program of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK).
The aim of ProGRANT Proposal Writing for Research Grants is to enable researchers and younger PhD holders (up to 40 years of age) from countries in the Global South (mainly Latin America, Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia) to develop proposal writing skills according to international standards and to design, write and budget a promising proposal for national and international research funding.
The courses are organized and conducted by the International Office of the University of Cologne in close cooperation with ProWiss (Consulting Services for Researchers) and partner institutions in the regions.
Highly motivated researchers and phD holders that are at the beginning or middle stages of their research career. Applicants from all disciplines (except for clinical medicine), who are planning on initiating a research project and wish to develop a promising research proposal to be sent to national or international funding agencies are welcome to apply.
EU citizens are not eligible for the program.
Geographic Scope: Applicants to each course are expected to be from the host country and neighboring region, a more detailed list for all 2015 courses can be found under Course Offerings.
Number of participants:
Each course shall have a maximum number of 30 participants.
Egypt Course: August 17th-October 9th 2015 (English)
Kenya Course: September 14th- November 6th 2015 (English)
Indonesia Course: October 19th - December 11th 2015 (English)
Colombia Course: November 23rd 2015 - January 15th 2016 (Spanish)
You can access the program description for the training in Nairobi here .
For detailed information please click here
Language and Short Courses in Germany 2016
Please note that applications to the International Summer courses and Intensive German Language courses will be accepted online from 17. September through 01. Dezember 2015. 381 Programmes are available for your chosen criteria. Selection results will be communicated to applicants until the end of January 2016.
For a list of German Courses click here.
Clarifications for Frequently Asked Questions are available here.
For inquiries please contact Mr. Khaskeia ( Tel: +49 228 882 266; firstname.lastname@example.org
Call for Applicants: 10 Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany
DAAD offers approx. 10 Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany for former DAAD In-Region/In-Country scholarship holders from Sub-Saharan countries.
Applicants have to:
- be alumni of the DAAD with the "In-Region/In-country Scholarship Programme"
- have completed their PhD degree less than six years ago
- hold an academic position at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- submit an invitation form from a German host institution together with a research plan which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher in Germany
- be a national of a Sub-Saharan African country
Applications can be handed in at any time, but at least three months before the intended visit in Germany.
Please find more information here.
Call for Applicants: 10 Postdoctoral Fellowships in Sub-Saharan Africa at DAAD supported Centres of Excellence
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is offering approx. 10 fellowships in 2015 for doing research at one of the DAAD supported Centres of Excellence in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Applicants have to:
- be senior or prospective teaching or research staff, preferably former DAAD scholarship holders
- have completed their PhD degree
- submit an invitation from a Sub-Saharan African host instiution together with a concept note which must have been arrangend in advance with the host researcher
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country
- preferably come from other countries than the country where the programme takes place
Applications can be handed in at any time, but at least two months before the intended visit in the respective country.
Please click here for further information.
Call for Applicants: Staff Exchange in Sub-Saharan African countries - Fellowship announcement
The DAAD is offering approx. 10 fellowships in 2015 for Staff Exchange in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Applicants have to:
- a senior staff at a Sub-Saharan African university
- submit an invitation from a Sub-Saharan African host university together with a concept note indicating the duties and functions and the envisaged time frame
- be nationals of a Sub-Saharan country
- provide leave of absence provided by their home institution for the purpose of teaching at the host institution
Applications can be handed in at any time but at least two months before the intended visit at the host institution.
Please click here for more information.
New list of study courses for DAAD's Development-Related Postgraduate Courses (EPOS) has been published
The new list of study courses in the field of Development-Related Postgraduate Courses for the intake 2016 has been published. Earliest application deadline is 31st August, 2015 (Please note that application for the scholarship and the programme is made directly to the school and done at least 1 year prior to year of commencement of scholarship.)
Courses of Study:
- Economic Sciences/ Business Administration/ Political Economics
- Development Cooperation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional planning
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Medicine/ Public Health
- Social and Political Sciences and Education
- Media Studies
Please find more information on the programme and application formalities here.